Caldo Verde is the most famous soup of Portugal. It’s a creamy potato based soup with Portuguese smoked chouriço and tender kale! Perfect healthy 30 minute meal.
Caldo Verde is a traditional Portuguese soup that’s so hearty and comforting you’ll forget how good it is for you. It’s perfect for dark rainy days or cold winters with its spicy smoked sausage, creamy potatoes, hearty kale and healthy chicken broth. It’s a one pot meal that’s ready to serve in 30 minutes!
This soup is one of those dishes that’s perfect for lazy rainy days or cold winter days, when you want something hearty and comforting but don’t feel like putting in a lot of work. It’s made with a few budget-friendly and simple ingredients. It takes about 10 minutes of prep work and it’s ready to eat in 30 minutes. Oh, and it’s all made in a single pot, too. And did I mention it’s delicious? It’s SO delicious!
- 1 tbsp olive oil, or cooking oil of choice
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 4 tbsp garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups potatoes, cubed into 3/4-1 inch pieces, see notes below
- 1 – 2 tbsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups kale, tough stems removed, leaves chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 cups Chouriço (Portuguese smoked sausage), sliced ¼ inch thin, for swaps see notes below