Made a big hearty pot of Pasta Fagioli Soup for dinner, love this soup!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 pound ground beef (optional)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta (such as ditalini or small shells)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- If using, add the ground beef to the pot and cook until it is browned.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, kidney beans, white beans, beef broth, water, pasta, parsley, oregano, basil, and thyme. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is cooked to your liking, about 8-10 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with grated Parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!