Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup Instant Pot recipe is the deconstructed version of your classic cabbage rolls in the soup form. This savory Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup get’s done in less than 30 minutes and is filled with huge flavors.
- 1 pound Hot Italian Pork Sausage **casings removed. You can use ground beef and pork in the 1:1 ratio or use only ground beef.
- 5 cups cabbage **½ head of a small cabbage. Chopped into large ½ inch squares.
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice **or jasmine rice
- 1 cup onion **roughly chopped yellow onion
- 2 tbsp garlic **minced
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes **1 can. 425 g or use canned diced tomatoes.
- 8 oz tomato sauce **1 can
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 5.5 cups chicken stock **use 7 cups for a thin soup. I used 3 tbsp better than bouillon dissolved in warm water.
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt **according to taste.
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika
- 1.5 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Bay leaf
Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE function and keep it at HIGH heat setting. Add oil and when the oil becomes really hot gently release the hot Italian Sausage meat casings removed and brown the sausage really well. You may either drain out the excess sausage fat or use it in the recipe.
Once the meat is well browned add the chopped onion and garlic and saute until the onion becomes translucent.
Now, pour the chicken stock and de-glaze the pot very well scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. There should not be any food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot. This is to avoid the BURN error.
Now, add the seasonings like paprika, black pepper powder, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire Sauce and give everything a quick stir. If you prefer a slight heat add red pepper flakes. We did not add any.
Next, add the diced tomatoes , tomato sauce and the tomato paste and stir well to incorporate them into the the stock.
Add the long grain white rice and the chopped cabbage. Also, throw in the bay leaves and salt. Give everything a quick stir. CANCEL the SAUTE function.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 4 minutes.
Once, the pressure cooking cycle is over the Instant Pot will begin to beep. Immediately do a quick pressure release (QPR). Open the lid carefully.
The unstuffed cabbage roll soup is ready. Check for seasoning and add more salt if needed. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve hot. This is a thick soup, more like a stew like consistency. If you prefer a thinner consistency read NOTES below. Enjoy!
- Want the soup spicy: Add ½ tbsp red pepper flakes while adding the other seasonings. You can also add choppe Jalapeno peppers for extra heat. We didnot add any kind of peppers.
- Thinner consistency Soup: Add 7 cups chicken stock. Todays recipe is more like a stew, a thick soup. That’s how we love our cabbage roll soup.
- Seasonings amount: Well, we would recommend that you play around with the seasonings and certainly can add more than what’s recommended in the recipe. It’s totally upto you.
- Cabbage Size: Do not chop the cabbage finely or into smaller pieces, The cabbage will totally disintegrate into the soup. Chop the cabbage into 1 inch squares for a good mouthfeel.
- Ground meat which one to use? You may use Italian sausage + ground beef in 1:1 ratio. You can also make the recipe with only ground beef or with only Italian pork sausage just like we did.
- Rice: Use either white long grain rice or Jasmine rice. DO NOT use any other rice variety.
- Something about crushed tomatoes: You can use regular crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano. If you love spicy food you can also use Rotel diced Tomatoes. We used regular crushed tomatoes. Honestly I make the soup with whatever I have in my pantry.
- Storing Tips: The unstuffed cabbage roll soup will last for 4 days in the fridge. Store it in air tight containers. The soup tends to thicken in the fridge. You can add splashes of water while re-heating.